There are many reasons why people decide they can no longer live together and when the time comes to make that decision, the experience is usually a traumatic one. Such emotional upheaval brings with it its own problems, which often go unnoticed until much later, when they can give rise to a host of unrealised problems.

It is a fact that many marriages will end in divorce, but separation from ones partner is only part of a much bigger package. Legalities, at a time of emotional upheaval, mostly take second, if not third or fourth place, but it is at that very point that you need the very best advice that you can get. A well meaning friend may well be able to guide you through the emotional stress, but is unlikely to be equipped to offer professional advice which can guide you through the legal processes and ensure you know your rights and help you to build the foundations of a new life.

There are a number of issues that can be stressful such as the matrimonial finances, entitlement to maintenance, what will happen to the family home, who will the children live with and spend time with, to name but a few. Having professional advice at an early stage can help to elevate the stress and guide you through this process. At Granville-West, Chivers & Morgan we will provide you with realistic advice tailored to suit your individual circumstances and help you through this often difficult journey.

We can help you with the divorce petition, financial negotiation and proceedings including implementing any agreements reached.


Any disputes involving your children will always be emotive. Under the laws of England & Wales, the interests of the child are paramount in court proceedings. A plethora of legislation exists to ensure the well-being of the child in every case.

Such meticulous legislation, whilst excellent in its design can, in its execution, be complex and obtrusive. Such can be the case in the breakdown of the family, divorce, and the inevitable agreements, or disagreements, over where the children shall live, who they spend time with, alleged abuse, financial provision and responsibility or institutional failure on behalf of the child. The list goes on.

In the breakdown of relationships, there are often disputes about who a child should live or spend time with, concerns over the lack of say in educational matters and dismay at the social environment in which the child is being raised. The can raise problems. We would always encourage our-operation and if necessary the attendance at medication. Whilst mediation is a helpful tool in resolving the issues between parties, this is not always succesful. If conflicts as to parenting cannot be resolved amicably then recourse of the court will necessary to address the issues. with. Granville-West, Chivers & Morgan have specialist knowledge and expertise in Family Law and can help you to understand you rights. We can provide you with advice as to the options open to you and the steps that can be taken to ensure that the arrangements for your children are addressed.

Sometimes concerns are raised by authorities as to the standard of provided to children and extended family need to step in to provide support. We can advise you what orders you can obtain and whether a Child Arrangement Order or maybe a special Guardanship Order should be sought.

Care proceedings

If you are a parent and find yourself in a situation where the Local Authority have raised concerns about the care of your children this can be a very stressful time. At Granville-West Chivers & Morgan our family solicitors are able to advise you of your rights. We are able to attend at Legal Gateway meetings with the local authority and can help you to understand the process.

If the local authority are still concerned and proceedings are issued we will be able to represent you through the proceedings and attend at any court hearings. We understand the situation will be daunting but be assured we will support you throughout.

Legal aid

The Provision of legal aid has reduced since 2013, but remains available in cases where there is or has been domestic abuse or if children are at risk. If you think you may be eligible please speak to one of our family solicitors who will be happy to assess your eligibility.